MAY ALL BEINGS BE HAPPY !

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ellora and non-duality

Yesterday, I went to the Mahabodhi temple, as I do every evening. There was a man with long hairs, long beard, dressed in white, as Hindu saddhus. His look was very kind and full of gentleness. It crossed mine for a few seconds, and then I felt very happy. Then, I began walking around the temple, with this happiness in mind. People sitting beside the way were smiling to me as my happiness was quite obvious. Some of them told it to me. Then I sat beside a chinese looking man who also comes there everyday in the evening. He was in deep meditation. Later on, I started walking on the higher and longer path around the temple. And, I don't know why, this thought came to me : the main Hindu cave in Ellora could be considered as a symbol of non-duality. Remember, this is the cave :



In everyday life, our psychological processes are based on a dualist perception of the world, that means in terms of subject (the spectator) and object (the show). For example, you (subject) looking at a carving (object). People having reached the non-dualist state of consciousness, which means awakening in buddhism, don't percieve that way any more. They don't separate inside and outside, me and other, their percpetive and mental processes are compared to water sinking in water. In Ellora, all the statues and the buildings are different and look separated, but they have actually been carved in the same single rock. As we feel disconnected from 'outside', other people, other forms of life, of matter, but it is just that we lost the consciousness of the deep links we have with the entire surrounding world.

No comments: